Were the earliest followers of Jesus Jewish or Christian?

Were the early followers of Jesus Jews, not Christians? I have seen this question posed in a number of ways and I would like to suggest the question assumes a dichotomy which is largely false, or at least not so black and white as the question implies. For the truth is the bulk of theContinue reading “Were the earliest followers of Jesus Jewish or Christian?”

Bucking the herd mentality

Some days I wonder if our society is too individualistic. Other days I wonder if it’s not individualistic enough. That’s on the days when the herd mentality seems a little too pervasive. People not thinking for themselves but just accepting what authority figures say, even when said authority figures are completely unqualified in the subjectContinue reading “Bucking the herd mentality”

Theology is best fleshed out in community

“Theology is not a private subject for theologians only. Nor is it a private subject for professors. Fortunately, there have always been pastors who have understood more about theology than most professors. Nor is theology a private subject of study for pastors. Fortunately, there have repeatedly been congregation members, and often whole congregations, who haveContinue reading “Theology is best fleshed out in community”

Why you won’t find a church in the New Testament

“One Tribe, One Mob” by Australian aboriginal artist Max Conlon Did you know the word “Church” is derived from the Greek word kyriakon, not ekklesia as is commonly supposed, and that they have very different meanings? Kyriakon doma means “House of the Lord” and refers to a place of worship. Ekklesia means “the called out”Continue reading “Why you won’t find a church in the New Testament”