Can you believe Curious Christian is Ten Years Old!

“The Last Prayer of Jesus Christ” by Adel Al-Abbasi I can hardly believe it myself, but it’s true, the inaugural post for Curious Christian was launched on April 30, 2005. Of course, it wan’t called Curious Christian back then, it went through a number of name changes before I settled on the current name. And inContinue reading “Can you believe Curious Christian is Ten Years Old!”

Why it is important to recognise there are diverse sources of diversity.

When it comes to contextualising Christianity and everything that entails I find it is important to recognise that there are diverse sources of diversity within contemporary society. Too often Christian missional literature focuses on culture purely in terms of nationality or ethnicity. But I find it is often just important to recognise the ways gender,Continue reading “Why it is important to recognise there are diverse sources of diversity.”

An ancient commentary on Christian unity and cultural diversity

Have you ever read The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus? If you haven’t you should, as it includes ancient commentary on Christian unity and cultural diversity that is just as relevant for today as it was when it was written in the second century. Mathetes (which means disciple in ancient Greek) has this to say:Continue reading “An ancient commentary on Christian unity and cultural diversity”

Does a geographic focus hinder churches in reaching demographic based cultures?

I recently attended a Forge workshop where Allan Hirsch spoke on cultural distance as a barrier to the sharing the good news of Jesus with the world and the inconvenient truth that 80% of the energy of most churches went into reaching the 20% of their culture that was culturally closest. And then we wonderContinue reading “Does a geographic focus hinder churches in reaching demographic based cultures?”

How the church messed up with Aboriginal Australians

This image by Jacqui Stewart is entitled “Hope Beyond the Window”. As an Australian Christian I find it very confronting. Here is an interpretation of the image that Jacqui passed on through her blog: ‘The above piece of work depicts the scene of half-caste Aboriginal children sitting in front of the church they were taken too afterContinue reading “How the church messed up with Aboriginal Australians”