After mentioning Ignatian-style meditation in my last comment I thought I was worth drawing attention to a website I came across many moons ago that draws links between Myers-Briggs personality types and preferred prayer styles.
It is suggested that personality type can be related to stages of Lectio Divina:
- Reading appeals especially to Sensing-Judging (SJ) types
- Meditation appeals especially to iNtuitive-Thinking (NT) types
- Prayer appeals to iNtuitive-Feeling (NF) and Sensing-Perceiving (SP)
- Contemplation appeals especially to the iNtuitive-Feeling (NF) types
And also to different monastic prayer styles:
- Thomistic appeals especially to iNtuitive-Thinking (NT) types
- Franciscan appeals especially to Sensing-Perceiving (SP) types
- Augustinian appeals especially to iNtuitive-Feeling (NF) types
- Ignatian appeals especially to Sensing-Judging (SJ) types
I’d be cautious of putting too much weight on this but it is suggestive of why different people are drawn towards different styles of prayer.
For the record I’m INTP